A very wide range of applications produce hot gases from their combustion process and these hot gases produce a level of particulate emissions that are naked to the human eye yet can prove to be fatal. PM2.5 and PM10 is linked to respiratory diseases in fact the IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) and the WHO (World Health Organisation) designate particulates a Group 1 Carcinogen.
Particulates are the most harmful form of air pollution due to their ability to penetrate deep in to the lungs and blood streams unfiltered, causing heart attacks, respiratory disease and premature death.
A ceramic hot gas filter – designed and installed by Renewable Engineering can reduce your Particulate Emission Limit Value to below 1 mg/Nm3.
The filter is installed between the boiler or combustion process and the chimney, the flow through the filter is aided either by the existing induced draft fan or we can upgrade the existing fan, should this prove to be unsuitable, we can re design, replace or add an additional ID fan and complete controls package to suit the application. All the above will be offered for consideration at the design stage.
How the REL Ceramic hot gas filter works
Hot gases from the process are drawn in to the dirty side of the filter aided by the Induced draft fan, the gases are drawn through the Ceramic filter candle but the harmful particulate microns are trapped on the dirty side, a cake of dust and particulates is formed on the outside of the candle.
The autonomous filter cleaning system monitors the set point pressure drop across the dirty and clean sides of the filter, once the cleaning system set point is reached, the system goes through a blow down cleaning cycle to remove the external cake, and cleans the candle to start the process over again.
The number of candles installed in to each individual filter is dependent on the manufacturers designated gas flow through the combustion process furnace and the operating temperature, armed with this information team REL can design the perfect filter for your needs and for the needs of the process.
The advantages of Ceramic Hot Gas Filtration
- Consistently removes 99.9% of PM10 and PM2.5 particles
- Ceramic Hot Gas Filtration candles can last over 5 years, reducing O&M costs
- REL Ceramic Hot Gas Filtration candles can withstand temperatures of up to 1000°C
- Totally resistant to Alkalis and Acids below or above the dew point
- Withstands sub-micron particles
- Emission Limit Values achievable <3mg/Nm3, although we can achieve <1mg/Nm3
- Cyclones, Reaction Towers or Spark Arrestors are not required
- Candle Elements are fire resistant
- Operating temperatures up to 450°C (mild steel housing)